Ground Control Best Practices
- Ground Control Points (GCP) should be placed around the perimeter and in the center of the area to be mapped.
- A minimum of 5 GCPs/area is recommended; 4 on each corner, 1 in the center.
- For sites >20 acres, there should be 1 GCP/acre placed within 1500 ft of each other.
- GCPs should be clearly visible from the air, free from vegetation and other obstructions.
- Firmatek uses and recommends the opposing quad style of pattern with contrasting colors such as white/black or yellow/black as shown. The center point is easily identifiable as a point of reference.
- Firmatek recommends creating a .kml map of GCPs showing approximate locations of all points.
- Firmatek also recommends the AeroPoint Product.